Naga women protest across Manipur demanding safe release of six civilians allegedly held hostage since May 13.
Share

IMPHAL/DIMAPUR — Thousands of women staged protests across Naga-inhabited areas of Manipur on Wednesday, demanding the immediate and safe release of six Naga civilians allegedly being held hostage following the violence in Kangpokpi district earlier this month.
The demonstrations, organised by various women bodies under the aegis of Naga Women Union, were held across Senapati, Ukhrul, Kamjong, Tamenglong, Noney and Chandel districts, as well as at Kanglatongbi in Imphal West and Tribal Market in Imphal East district.
In Senapati district headquarters, normal life was disrupted as markets remained shut and commercial vehicles stayed off the roads in support of the protests.
Women protestors held placards carrying messages such as ‘Justice is not a negotiation, the innocent must walk free’, ‘Secure the civilians’, ‘Hostages must be released’, and ‘Kuki militants, stop kidnapping’.
Protestors also raised slogans demanding justice and immediate intervention by the government.
The six missing civilians were reportedly abducted from Leilon Vaiphei village in Kangpokpi district on May 13 following an ambush near Saheibung village in which three Thadou church leaders were killed.
Also read: Joint security operations continue in Manipur to rescue remaining hostages
According to reports, more than 38 people were abducted and held hostage by armed groups in Kangpokpi and Senapati districts on the same day.
Of them, 31 have since been released, including 12 Naga women from Konsakhul village, 16 Kukis from Kangpokpi district, and two Salesian brothers.
However, the whereabouts of the six Naga men remain unknown.
The protestors demanded unconditional release of the hostages and immediate arrest and prosecution of those allegedly involved in the abduction and killings.
A memorandum addressed to Prime Minister Narendra Modi was submitted through the Deputy Commissioner of Senapati, seeking urgent intervention from the Centre.
The memorandum also sought justice for Wilson Thanga of Dolang village, who was killed in the May 13 ambush.
Speaking to reporters during the protest, Naga Women’s Union president Priscilla Thiumai said that the organisation wanted to send a “clear message” to the prime minister that the hostages must be brought back safely and without harm.
“The culprits should be arrested and brought to book immediately. Such acts by Kuki militants, who are observing the Suspension of Operations pact with the Centre, have become a norm. This is not acceptable,” she said, while also urging the Centre to abrogate the Suspension of Operations (SoO) agreement with Kuki militant groups.
Meanwhile, chairman D Adam of Konsakhul village, the native village of the six missing civilians, appealed to the state government to arrest the chief of Leilon Vaiphei village to ascertain details surrounding the May 13 incident.
Amid the growing tensions, the Kuki Inpi Manipur, the apex body of the Kuki tribes in the state, also claimed that 14 members of the Kuki community continued to be held hostage by Naga groups.