- NEW YORK — The Trump administration will hold a military parade on June 14,
said White House Spokesperson Anna Kelly in a post on social media.
-
- "To celebrate the US Army's 250th Birthday on June
14, President Trump will honour American Veterans, active-duty servicemembers, and
military history with a military parade!" said Kelly on Friday.
-
- The parade planning is actively underway, and nearly 150
vehicles, 50 aircraft, and 6,600 soldiers are anticipated to be involved, said
a report by AFP quoting US Army spokeswoman Heather Hagan.
-
- The celebration also will feature fireworks and a
festival on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., said Hagan.
-
- The US Army plans to have a week of celebrations for its
250th birthday, according to a planning document, Xinhua news agency reported.
-
- Notably, June 14 also marks US President Donald Trump's
79th birthday.
Read: Trade talks with India 'coming along great', says Trump
-
- Trump floated the idea of holding a military parade in
Washington, D.C., during his first term but the idea was shot down on high
costs and concerns over possible damages to streets from military vehicles.
-
- The previous major military parade in the US capital was
held in 1991 to mark the end of the Gulf War.
-
- The estimate for the parade being planned now is
"tens of millions of dollars," according to two of the Defence
officials.
-
- In a statement on Friday, Army spokesman Steve Warren
also acknowledged a final decision had been made, saying the Army's 250th
birthday celebration will include "a spectacular fireworks display, a
parade, and a day-long festival on the National Mall".
-