Neiphiu Rio says clearance for Franklin Graham’s visit is expected soon as Nagaland prepares for an expanded Hornbill Festival.
Share

KOHIMA — Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio on Thursday said that the government of India has assured him that clearance for the visit of Franklin Graham—the son of evangelist Billy Graham—would be processed “by today,” and that he hoped the team would arrive in Nagaland in time for the Hornbill Festival.
Speaking during the NPF CEC meeting, Rio said he had been coordinating with the President of India and central authorities to facilitate Graham’s visit. He said the Home Ministry and Intelligence Bureau had assured him the paperwork was being finalised.
Rio said the crusade programme with Franklin Graham is expected to take place on November 30 at the IG Stadium, and that he is scheduled to be the chief guest at the Hornbill Festival on December 1.
He urged churches and households across Nagaland to put up Christmas stars between November 29 and 30 as guests begin arriving by November 28.
Also read: Naga People’s Front must expand footprint to Assam, says Neiphiu Rio at CEC meeting
The chief minister said the Hornbill Festival was becoming “bigger and bigger” with national and international visibility. This year, the festival is being extended to Mon, Phek, Wokha, Dimapur, Chümoukedima, Zunheboto and Mokokchung, in addition to Kisama, he said.
NPF working president Abu Metha said this year’s 26th edition has six country partners “from the developed world,” and noted that despite the state’s size, “powerful nations are partnering with Nagaland.”
He said the festival now has multiple dimensions, including opportunities for collaborations and future investments. Citing an independent economic survey, Metha said the organised sector recorded INR 189 crore in new money during the 10-day festival last year, and that 7,000 jobs were created.