Nagaland students were among 31 northeastern students shifted after a clash at a Kakinada nursing college over cellphone theft
DIMAPUR — Students from Nagaland were among 31 northeastern students shifted to separate accommodation after a clash at a nursing college in Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh, on Saturday, with the district administration assuring their safety, according to The Hindu.
The clash occurred at SK College of Nursing after students from Manipur and Nagaland lodged a complaint with Sarpavaram police over the alleged theft of a student’s cellphone. Tension reportedly escalated after Andhra Pradesh students learnt about the police complaint, leading to an altercation in the hostel.
An Andhra Pradesh student sustained a head injury during the clash and was treated at the Government General Hospital in Kakinada, The Hindu reported.
Mopsticks, broomsticks, plates and buckets were reportedly thrown by students from both sides during the altercation.
The Manipur students reportedly conveyed concerns about their safety to Manipur Chief Minister Yumnam Khemchand. Following alerts from the Manipur government and higher authorities in Andhra Pradesh, Kakinada District Collector MN Harendhira Prasad and Superintendent of Police G Bindu Madhav deployed officials to the campus to maintain peace.
Also read: Absconding Robert Kikon traced across Southeast Asia, says Nagaland DGP
'One Bhaiya called me Chinese': Arunachal girl explains viral 'I am Indian' video
In a video statement, Prasad said the clash was triggered by the alleged theft of a Manipur student’s phone, which was “subsequently found”. He said the administration learnt of the incident at around 5.30 pm, following which police and revenue officials were rushed to the college. The situation returned to normal after officials held talks with the two groups.
Prasad said 31 students from Manipur and Nagaland were provided separate accommodation on Saturday night as a precautionary measure. He added that the college management had been given a “serious warning” and directed to improve the hostel.
The Collector also dismissed reports circulating on social media that the trouble was linked to stolen certificates or fee disputes, saying the issue was only the cellphone.
“There may not be any fear among any of the parents. They are absolutely safe and they can continue their studies here,” he said.