NHIDCL will deploy machinery to clear the Kisama landslide-hit NH-2 stretch for pedestrians as experts assess permanent restoration
KOHIMA — The National Highways & Infrastructure Development Corporation Limited (NHIDCL) will deploy machinery at the landslide-hit Kisama stretch of NH-2 from Tuesday morning to clear the road for pedestrian movement, while experts are being brought in to assess the site and chart a restoration plan.

The assurance was given after Advisor for Prisons, Printing & Stationery, Kropol Vitsu, and MLA Kevipodi Sophie inspected the affected area on Monday along with NHIDCL officials, Southern Angami Public Organisation (SAPO) leaders and others.
The two legislators expressed concern over the delay in deploying machinery despite the road having been damaged for several days and urged NHIDCL officials to immediately clear the stretch for pedestrians and, if possible, small vehicles, while working towards a permanent solution.
Speaking to media persons, Vitsu said the immediate priority was to clear the debris caused by the massive landslide and restore movement. He said NHIDCL had agreed to begin work from Tuesday to facilitate pedestrian movement, with efforts to subsequently clear the road as far as possible for smaller vehicles and trucks.
The affected stretch is about 400 metres long, according to NHIDCL Executive Director RP Singh. He said the entire mass of earth had moved towards the valley side following the landslide on August 13, and there had been no vehicular movement on the highway since then.
Also read: Nagaland: HC stays INR 40.48 lakh compensation order over Chakhabama–Zunheboto road

Singh informed that NHIDCL had called in experts who were expected to arrive on Tuesday to study the site and prepare drawings for restoration. The corporation would proceed with the restoration plan after it was vetted by the experts.
In the meantime, NHIDCL would deploy machinery to facilitate pedestrian movement. Singh, however, said vehicular movement would not be possible immediately, adding that continued rainfall was making it difficult to undertake temporary restoration work.
Vitsu observed that the massive earth movement appeared to have been aggravated by the failure to properly divert water channels, given the large catchment area above the affected site. He said efforts were also being made to create water channels to divert runoff safely towards the stream.
He added that experts would study the soil condition of the area before a restoration plan was finalised.
The landslide-hit stretch has been prone to sinking for a long time. Singh said NHIDCL had engaged a consultant to prepare a detailed project report, following an earlier investigation whose findings were considered inadequate in view of the present situation.
He said the consultant had been asked to revisit the site, conduct a fresh investigation and prepare a permanent restoration programme.
The disruption has also placed additional pressure on alternative routes, which Vitsu said were in poor condition due to increased vehicular movement.
He informed that NHIDCL had agreed to consider maintenance of the alternative road if the state government prepared an estimate, which would be vetted and forwarded to the Delhi authorities for sanction.