Coronavirus: Nagaland prepares to deal with any eventuality
Dimapur, Jan. 27 (EMN): As coronavirus fear intensifies across the world, the department of Health and Family Welfare in Nagaland said that it is preparing to deal with any eventuality though no coronavirus case has been reported in the state.
When queried on the precautionary measures taken up by Nagaland state, mission director of National Health Mission, Dr. Kevichusa Medikhru told Eastern Mirror on Monday that they had a video conference with the department of Health and Family Welfare in Delhi over increasing concern about the virus.
Medikhru went on to say that the department was working on standard operative procedure to create awareness on the virus in all the districts with the rapid response team and with Dimapur airport.
Meanwhile, the state’s Health and Family Welfare (H&FW) department has informed through an advisory that ‘coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that are known to cause illness ranging from common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS) and severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)’. It added that coronavirus is a novel coronavirus (nCoV), a new strain of coronavirus that has not been previously identified in humans’.
Symptoms of coronaviruses infection:
- Common signs include fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties
- In severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death.
Measures to reduce risk of coronavirus infection:
- Clean your hands properly with water and soap, or alcohol-based hand rub, especially after coughing, sneezing, using toilets, before handling/ preparing food, after contact with patient or their personal tools and after handling animal waste.
- Cover nose and mouth when coughing and sneezing with tissue or flexed elbow.
- Avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms.
- Thoroughly cook meat and eggs.
- Avoid unprotected contact with live farm or wild animals.
- Maintain good hygiene habits in general.
- Maintain other healthy habits such as, balance diet, physical activity, as well as getting enough sleep; this will strengthen your immunity.
The directorate of H&FW has asked the public with travel history to China or other affected countries to report or self declare at: 7005415243, 9856071745, 7005539653, or write to firstname.lastname@example.org.