LLRPO urges Nagaland government to intervene as Assam prepares to evict 59 families from disputed border area on August 18
WOKHA — The Lotha Lower Range Public Organisation (LLRPO) has urged Nagaland government to intervene urgently to prevent the proposed eviction of 59 families from No. 2 Negheribil in Merapani along the Assam–Nagaland border, asserting that the land falls under the jurisdiction of Nagaland villages and that original Naga landowners possess ownership documents for the area.
The organisation’s appeal comes as the Golaghat district administration and Assam Forest department prepare to resume the eviction drive, with the 59 families reportedly given August 18 as the final deadline to vacate their homes and belongings.
The LLRPO warned that any eviction carried out by Assam authorities without addressing Nagaland’s territorial and land ownership claims could prejudice the state’s interests and undermine the rights of indigenous landowners.
It called on Nagaland government to immediately verify the land records through the village authorities concerned, activate administrative and legal mechanisms, and engage with Assam to prevent unilateral action.
The organisation stressed that the issue extends beyond the eviction of the 59 families, saying it has wider implications for Nagaland’s territorial rights, indigenous land ownership and the unresolved Assam–Nagaland border dispute. It also urged the state government to keep the village authorities concerned and landowners informed of developments.
Also read: Fresh clash erupts along Assam-Arunachal border, police fires in air to disperse mob
NSCN (IM) opposes border fencing, warns against dividing Naga homeland
Meanwhile, officials in Nagaland confirmed that the eviction operation is expected to take place soon, although the exact date remains uncertain.
Speaking to , Arhomo Yanthan, SDO (Civil), said the operation was being coordinated with the counterpart authorities in Assam. He said that, given the location in the Assam–Nagaland border zone, both state governments were involved in the process to ensure that no harm was caused to the residents.
Yanthan said that the 59 families at No. 2 Negheribil had been given August 18 as the final day to vacate their houses and remove their belongings by Assam government.
The Golaghat district administration and Forest department had earlier conducted an eviction drive against 205 families in the same locality. The remaining 59 families resisted the action and approached the Gauhati High Court before subsequently moving the Supreme Court.
The Supreme Court has since ruled in favour of Assam government, clearing the way for the administration to proceed with the eviction.
As part of preparations, a joint team of the Golaghat administration and Forest department visited the locality on Sunday, served final notices to the families, numbered the houses and conducted a detailed survey using drone technology.
The development comes amid recent efforts by Assam and Nagaland to coordinate on issues along their disputed border. Nagaland Deputy Chief Minister Y Patton met Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on July 29, with border issues and oil and gas exploration among the matters discussed.