Rickets is a metabolic disease of dog especially of young growing puppies characterised by deformities of the long bones. The disease occur in dog mainly due to various contributory factors such as when they are not receiving the right amount of nutrients i.e. vitamin A, E, low calcium, excessive phosphorus , poor absorption and decreased availability of vitamin D in their diet.
Signs and Symptoms of Rickets in Dog
1. Lameness of either fore or hind limbs
2. Difficulty in standing up
3. Bones becomes soft, spongy and swollen
4. Stiff gait and bowed limbs
5. Swelling of the affected limbs
6. Body weakness and tremor
7. Loss of appetite, loss of body weight and poor growth rate
Some Steps to Prevent Rickets in Dog
1. Feed well balanced diet with additional supplement of calcium, phosphorus and vitamin D orally or by parental routes
2. Regular and timely deworming of your dog with anthelmintic
3. Pups should be exposed to optimum sun light daily
4. Bone meal should be provided to growing pups
The owner should immediately consult a Veterinarian or visit the Veterinary Health Centres along with the affected dog incase of any of the above mentioned signs and symptoms when observed for early diagnosis and proper treatment.
Veterinary Hospital Kohima