You are here:  Home  >  Sports  >  Nagaland Sports  >  Current Article

New Market FC comes from behind to earn 3 points

By   /  August 12, 2017  /  Comments Off on New Market FC comes from behind to earn 3 points

    Print       Email

Our Correspondent
Kohima, August 12 (EMN): New Market FC came from behind to beat Ziekezou Sporting Club 2-1 at the ongoing Kohima Football League here at Kohima local ground on Saturday.
Playing a closely contested match on day four of the KFL, the Khuochiezie crowd could not have asked for more as the nail biting match gave the spectators a match worth their money.
New Market had the last laugh as their skipper Stephen Rutsa did not fail them in successfully converting the spot kick during the last quarter of the match to make it 2-1.
The first half ended with a goalless draw though both the teams had their share of chances to find the back of the net, but failed to get past the keeper.
Both the teams, with the dominance of midfield play, struggled hard to penetrate the opponent’s defense line, but the muddy outfield played spoil sport on the day.
New Market FC came close to scoring a goal in the first half when their center forward Rhitso Mero was pulled down by the keeper inside the d-box area, but the referee waved on for the play instead of awarding a penalty.
Moving into the second half, Ziekezou SC finally broke the deadlock when Khakevi Assumi eased passed the rival defenders and scored in the 47th minute. But the celebration was short lived as New Market scored the much-needed equaliser through Chisie Nyusou 13 minutes later. Nyusou had to just tap in with a simple touch as the ball slipped from Ziekezou’s keeper which was supposed to be an easy catch.
With the goal, New Market FC ignited their spirit again and scored another goal in the 77th minute through a penalty following one of the opponent’s defenders was caught for a handball inside the d-box area, which Stephen Rutsa coolly converted the spot kick to make it 2-1.
Ziekezou put the pressure to equalise the scoreline, despite their numerous attempts; they failed to find the equaliser in the second half.
Vilhobeituo Yhome got his chance to find the net when his teammate latched a through-ball inside the d-box area, but he shot the ball wide. Khrukhoto Resu also headed the ball wide when Athing Konyak assisted him with a long range free kick. Vilhobeituo Yhome and Khrukhoto Resu rued their missed opportunity as the Ziekezou team failed to take a point in the first match.
Team coach of Ziekezou Zakie Khroti said there was a misunderstanding in the second half among the players and they didn’t play their part, however, he was happy with the team’s performance. Skipper Kevizapu Lhoungu also said “we lack team combination. It was a tough match, despite we played well.”
Abalie John Rhezhü, media officer of New Market FC said due to the sloppy condition of the ground, the game was not up to expectation but said he is happy with the three points they achieved today.
Roukuonilie Kesiezie owner of Lozi Hundai Kohima was the match patron for the fourth match.

    Print       Email

You might also like...

Who could move after World Cup performances?

Read More →