Eastern Mirror Desk
Dimapur, Nov. 7: As some people in Dimapur celebrated Diwali, the festival of light, by bursting firecrackers and lights, a house at Murgipatti was reduced to ashes allegedly triggered by electric short circuit at around 9:30 pm on Wednesday.
Fire and Emergency Services personnel took about an hour to douse the fire. Witnesses informed Eastern Mirror that four to five LPG cylinders ‘exploded’ in the inferno. There is not report of any casualty.
The house was reportedly a warehouse.
The question of unplanned township comes to the fore again. It was observed that fire fighters had to undergo a horrendous time as the passage to the site of fire incident was obstructed by other buildings.
Elsewhere unaware of the fire incident, sounds of firecrackers, luminous lights through colourful lights decoration, lanterns, lamps, and fireworks marked Diwali celebration in Dimapur on Wednesday. The entire town ruptured with excitement as people celebrated the victory of light over darkness or good over evil.
Marwari Patti was crowded as hundreds of people thronged the area for merry-making and to watch fireworks display. Diwali is a five-day festival. This year it started on November 5. It will continue till November 9.